Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Which country am I in????

Well, lately I've been crossing so many borders that I seem to wake up every morning in a different country....and not to mention the currencies! So I'm in Argentina at the moment, but soon I'll be in Brazil. I'm going on a tour to the Brazilian side of the Iguassau Falls...apparently very spectacular...I hope they don't dissapoint! I guess I've been too spoilt in my life becuase when I was 11 years old, my sister, father and I went to Zimbabwe and saw the awesome Victoria Falls, and ever since then, they've been the height of the measuring pole! I do hear that it's been unseasonably dry lately, so some parts of the waterfall are less impressive, but hopefully the "Devil's Throat" will be amazing...

So today I'll be in Brazil for 4 hrs, and then enter Argentina AGAIN (for the fourth time already....gee, the stamps in the passport a piling up!) and then on Thursday or Friday I leave for Brazil once again, but this time I'll stay there till I go to America and back to Europe.

So, two days ago I was still in Paraguay, where even though I didn't manage to get to the national park, I did manage to go to the Jesuit ruins in the south of the country...one of the few heritage sites Paraguay has. It was amazing! These ruins are some 400 years old and some parts were amazingly well kept, considering how the Jesuits in whole south america were austed by the Vatican in 1768 and replaced by good Catholic Priests - who didn't give a damn about the indigenous people (the Jesuits repected the indeginous people and even taught their language in their schools!!!) - all becuase the Vatican feared that the Jesuits were getting too much power...egos...you're supposed to be people of God! Not dictators!!! (sorry to those religeous people out there....I was just horrified to see what they did to the indigenous people here.....). Also, most statues were decapitated becuase when the Jesuits left, people thought that the heads contained gold...they didn't.

Just for a little side thought: Americans have to pay for a visa to enter Brasil....$100 US!!! And why??? Becuase America makes Brailians pay $100 too to enter America...gee the things people worry about! That's wher all the hard earned tax money goes to...making up laws like that!!! Hehe!

Gotta a bus to catch!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home