Buenos Aires!
So, what have I done lately? Well, other than feeling exceptionally paranoid after being robbed, I've seen a bit of the city, though not everything I would have liked to. Beunos Aires is a beautiful city, has a lot of European influence, and sometimes I feel like I'm walking around Paris or even Barcelona. It has the same kind of feel: the buildings, boulevards, cafes and hundreds of pigeons on every square!
At one stage I followed the crowds and entered a building, which turned out to be the Cathedral. It doesn't look like one from the outside. It looks more like an old governmental building, but it was amazing inside! So big and beautiful! I also saw their congress building which looks a lot like Capital Hill in Washington D.C. - just a lot smaller! Their parliament building is also worth mentioning, though its colour is strange: PINK!
Yesterday, I wondered around a lovely little place that has a lot of crafts and is very colourful: El Caminito, in the neighbourhood of La Boca. I also visited the most remarkable graveyard I’ve ever seen in my life in Ricoleta.... A very posh neighbourhood and you only get a spot in this graveyard if you come from the Elite class. Excuse the pun; but it really feels like a Ghost Town. I mean, the tomb stones all look like houses (like 2 or 3 times as tall as you!), with the walls made from marble, and each tomb has two levels beneath it. While walking along the narrow lanes, you can't help but wonder: Where are the cars and people? Oh yes, they're dead! (Sorry to be so macabre...but really now...these people spend like over 3 million dollars on just the tombstone.... they must have been so bad, that they think they can buy their way into heaven!). But on a plus point, you do get to say hi to Evita!
I met this one guy there who said, Maxima's dad lived just up the road. (Maxima is the daughter of this guy who was part of the dictatorship regime here in the 70’s, and she married the crown Prince of Holland.... it was a huge saga!!!!). As soon as I mention I am Dutch, they mention Maxima.
Today I met up with a person I met in New Zealand who lives here in Buenos Aires. It was really cool to see her here. We went to see quite a few things, among them an antique fair where you can get anything really.... Even gramophones! They looked fabulous! Daniela took some pics so when she sends them to me, I'll post them on the web. So far I still haven’t bought a disposable camera. Should really get one soon!


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home