Monday, March 27, 2006

Photos!

Tell you what, I've bought myself a ball of hand spun wool and am now attempting to knit myself a scarf before i get to South America for the icey cold winter! Hannah is envious fo the colour (it being purple!) but agrees it will make a good scarf....keep your fingers crossed!

In Queenstown now: the place to go if you want to do all the adventure things, and since Hannah and I don't want to, we thought we'll go to an internet cafe instead. So here are some pics from the last three weeks....

Our own very Bone Carving creations. So which do you think belongs to Hannah and which to me?


The little town of Arthurs Pass. It's the highest lying town in NZ and has about 40 residents....probably like 10 times that in tourist numbers in peak season....really quaint little town and the building you see (with a red roof) is the YHA we stayed at there. IT was almost completely empty meaning we had the whole lounge and dorm to ourselves that evening and it even had it a log fire! Nice!



The Kea. NZ's native parrot. It's very green and bland actually, becuase it didn't ahve any predators when it arrived in NZ thousands of years ago and so evolved to a green colour, though it's wings are still lovely and coloured. This is the only picture I managed to get with it flying away and i'm pretty chuffed with it! They are very cheeky things but a joy to watch and there were loads in Arthurs Pass!

The Weka. A native NZ flightless bird that is often mistaken for being a Kiwi. It is not nocturnal like the Kiwi is and is very inquisitive! Here one was nosing about Hannah and Hannah was a bit afraid of it's beak....scared it would get too close! Brave little thing! and it's not as if it is very used to humans becuase this was on some remote little path!

Here we're infront of the Franz Josef glacier. (you should click on this photo to enlarge to see the funny faces we're pulling! We've gone slightly bonkers I think!)

The view from our walk up Alex's Knob mountain (NOT making it up, I promise!). This was us after 2 hours of clambering up the side of this mountain! Hard work but worth it!

Lake Matheson (aka: The Mirror Lake.....geeeee I wonder why????). THis is at 7am in the morning.....our reward for walking 6 kms to get there! THe two highest peaks you see are Mount Tasman and Mount Cook on the right (the highest mountain of NZ at 3800m). We definately went trigger happy here! You couldn't help yourself! Even had a professional photographer from National Geographic to give us a hand!

Hannah and I on the Glacier! This was our half day walk/tour! Absolutely amazing! I couldn't believe we were actually standing on a huge lump of ice (240m deep to be exact!)



Walking down the glacier! I can hear the theme song of the Snow white and the Seven dwarfs.....

That's it then....ran out of time. Hope this was enjoyable though....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home