Saturday, January 14, 2006

On the road again!

I decided yesterday it was about time I went to a farm and earned my keep, therefore saving me a lot of money and also meeting some local people. So I looked in the WWOOF (Willing Workers On Organic Farms) guide and called the first interesting looking one reasonably close to Auckland (since I need to pick up Hannah next Saturday) and BINGO! They have room for me! Apparently they are both Vets and breed horses (could be very interesting!) and also have a Kiwi fruit Orchard. So that means I'll be picking Kiwi fruit and looking after horses...nice and relaxing! Looking forward to jsut relaxing in the countryside and not having to worry so much about seeing the "sites". I mean, when you spend money to get somewhere you almost feel compelled to go see the sites, but the only problem is that it's become such a tourist destination that most things are just too expensive to experience! So it's been a lot of walking and climbing!

Last night I went out with two dutch people I met here. So far I've met several Germans, but this was the first time I really met two dutchies! We just went to a Belgium pub and just chatted. It's cool because for some reason I had no problem feeling part of the group, which is a rarity for me when it comes to dutch people my age! Will definately look them up when I return to Holland (though that will be a while!). It was a change to have to speak dutch once again! It's amazing how easy it is to forget about a language!

Today I went with the tram up the hill (for once something that's cheap! - probably becuase local people use it too) where on top of the hill the Botanical Gardens of Wellington are. Boy have I seen a lot of botanical gardens lately! This one was interesting - the rose garden being exceptional! - though to be honest, I mainly just did a quick tour and then just sat under a tree reading a book. I've found the bookworm within me once again! It's an expensive hobby to have here in New Zealand, since even a second hand book costs 8 euros! It's rediculous! I reckon I'll have to start a money collecting scheme for buying books! I would love to go to a library but since I'm moving around so much it just isn't an option! But just bought 5 brand new books for about 13 euros because there was a special offer on. Now I'm definately carrying too many books for my own good!(Oops! There goes my back!)

I fianlly managed to get my photos onto a CD for not too much money and I thought I'd come to a cheaper interent cafe to upload them, but it turns out you can't use the CD rom drives! Big fat use that is! So I'm afraid you'll have to wait just a bit longer for them to be uploaded!

Righty, tomorrow go an early bus to catch and I desperately need to do some washing!...and create space for the now 11 books I have! Crazy I tell you:)

1 Comments:

At 1/16/2006 12:02 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

well 11books, thats not going to be good for your back :)
but i think that there should be a post office some where there, you can always send the things that you dont want to carry around but still want to have back home by boat. PJ did that and it saved him loads of space for on the plane :) by the way he back:) for a year. i hope that the farm life treats you well, and i know that its going ot be a lot of work but you will love it. mucking out horse poo and all sorts of fun stuff! good luck and i have to see lots of pics of this place :) bye

 

Post a Comment

<< Home