Thursday, January 12, 2006

Farewell to the South Island.....for now...

Well, today I'm off to Wellington. Since I left Christchurch I made my way to Kaikoura followed by Picton. Like I said before, Kaikoura is beautiful, inspite of the mist! The day I left I luckily left late in the afternoon, giving me a chance to go see the seals again early that morning - this time got a picture really close to one of them. They were so cute! Though seeing them fight for territory isn't exactly a pretty site! They weren't too fussed, but these two males were having a bit of a go at each other! Nice thing is that i got to do this all for FREE! So many things here are directed towards the rich tourist and I refuse to take part in any of it! I mean, things like swimming with the dolphins and seals, whale watching, hiking....many of those things I still have my whole life to do, so when I have money maybe I'll do it. But hey, I saw whales from the shore in South Africa, and I walked in between a whole colony of seals! What more do you want! Apparently at one of these hostels on the south of the South Island, you can see dolphins from your dorm window! Another reason for why I SHOULDN"T pay to go see them!

Yuck! It's raining outside at the moment and I was hoping for nice weather for when I'm on the boat to the North Island! So I could sit outside and just look out for whales!

Well, I stayed in the hostel of Kaikoura just drinking my coffee and reading a book as I watched the clouds melt away, to reveal the mountains! It's stunning I tell you! A must see place! Even if you don't stay a night, the area is gorgeous! The bus picked me up from the hostel (a service the bus companies do here! It's crazy but very handy....door to door service!) at 5pm and took me to Picton. Once again, I couldn't do anything but look outside the window and stare in awe at the beautiful and dramatic landscape. you've got the sea on your right and then mountains on your left, and then you go inland and the mountains get drier and drier....not a lot of trees, but lots of sheep! And then three hours later you arrive in Picton and it's a Harbour but it's located in the middle of a mass of Islands!

Yesterday I spent the whole day just walking in Picton. A total of 8 and a half hours of walking and I slept like a log yesterday! lol! I can't describe these places anymore! Really need to show some pictures! I will try and get them on ASAP! I'll probably just blog pictures for a week! I've got so many! It's so easy to become trigger happy! lol! So far, for the last 3 weeks I've got more than 500 photos! bless the digital age!

Well, got a ferry to catch!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home