Wow! Glowing worms!
So yes, this weekend I went away for two days to give Dyan some breathing space. She’s all stressed out because her husband Pete is still in the hospital awaiting results from countless amounts of tests…hope it’s nothing serious!
So I went to: Waitomo Caves. The name says it all. The Maori language explains all in names here in this country as it does with Waitomo: Wai = Water and tomo = big hole. Ie. “Big water hole”. Basically the whole area is limestone…. lifted up from the sea bed thousands of years ago…. and now with the rain it’s formed a whole lot of caves…with the whole stalagmite and stalactite thing! I went on a three-hour tour of two caves, and one of them took me on a rubber boat into the darkness, but funnily enough, as we went deeper into the cave, it got lighter! Yep! That’s right! GLOWWORMS! It was amazing! I was in a group of just 3 and we just sat there in silence admiring the “star studded sky” above us… Apparently the Waitomo caves are the best example when it comes to glowworms and they’re proud to point out that Sir David Attenborough did a documentary on glowworms and filmed them here:-)
Picking the kiwis has finally begun and maybe later in the week I’ll have a bit of a go at it. Problem is that rain is forecast for the rest of the week and they can’t be picked with they are wet…oh well, lugging wood and picking up passion fruit is fun too!
So in five days I’ll be making my way to the airport. It hasn’t quite sunk in yet…it’s a bit strange thinking about! Hope all’s well with you guys! Also wanted to thank those who sent me a card here! So cool! Thanks!


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home