Friday, May 05, 2006

Tsunami? What Tsunami?!?!?!

So I hear on the news yesterday evening that there was a tsunami warning sent out at 5am yesterday morning because of an earthquake that occurred in Tonga, and that Fiji and New Zealand would be the first coasts affected if there were to be a tsunami…. so my WWOOFing host – Dyan – and I looked at each other and thought: “when did all this happen????” I mean, we had the radio on ALL day and every hour there is a news bulletin and we didn’t hear anything!

As it turns out, the rest of the world was a lot more informed about what could be happening on the east coast of the north island (about 300km from where I am now) than New Zealanders were. People evacuated their homes because of news reports by CNN and the BBC as well as anxious friends and family on the other side of the world phoning up and checking to see if everything was ok! How ironic! Don’t you think? My poor mum even phoned me to see if we were ok here! Thanks mum!

Luckily though, NO tsunami occurred and the civil defense unit of New Zealand was only available 3 hours after the warning was issued – a warning that said that in ONE hour a tsunami could hit the east coast of New Zealand…how crap is that?!?!?! So you can understand that they are now in BIG trouble…and so they should be!

Been back at the kiwi farm for almost a week now and things are good fun though no picking the fruit yet because they are not ripe enough yet. And we don’t want sour ones, do we? One unfortunate things is that they husband of Dyan – Pete – has been ill since I’ve arrived and is basically dehydrated and in a lot of pain and not eating at all. He’s now in hospital and they are doing a whole batch of tests because they don’t have a clue as to what’s wrong with him. Now he’s staying in the hospital over the weekend…..

One more week and I’ll be getting all packed to go to Hawaii! Yey!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home