Job hunting can really SUCK!
So here I am, 6 weeks in Holland and counting...
Still no job and I have to say it's pretty distressing when out of more than 40 applications, I have had a total of 39 rejections, and - wait for it - 1 (yes, ONE!) company invite me for an interview! How long do I have to wait for this interview? 3 weeks. So while I'm still applying for jobs, I sit here twiddling my thumbs, really wanting to work but not being able to because as soon as I tell them my educational background, they grow pale and politely tell me I will not be able to get the job. Out of all those 39 rejections, I have had two reasons: I'm over qualified and/or I don't have enough work experience.
So who decided to give me a bit of a chance? Shell....
And what's my back-up plan? Well, if I don't get a job soon, I've decided to go and do a PhD....a bit counter productive, you might think, considering I'll have another diploma to my name and therefore be even more over-qualified, but the idea is to get into research, so I can stay in the University environment...
The last week I went to see the dentist after two years, and boy could you see he wasn't impressed! Though I was even more unimpressed when he was fiddling around with my Wisdom tooth, and his little metal hook device slipped through a cavity and went directly to my nerve! I shut my mouth - boy is he lucky he didn't have his fingers inbetween my teeth right then!!!! - and turned away so quickly, I took his arm with me! Before then, I didn“t have any problems...now I haven't been able to eat with that side of my mouth and I have to wait till I can go to the hospital to have the damn thing removed...Joy joy joy!
Two days ago I cycled through Germany through a forest which, unlike Holland, was decidingly hilly. Cycled the whole day with my dad and boy was I tired. The weather was fantastic, I got to practise my non-existant german and I ended up cycling more than 70 kms. Not bad for a days work! lol!
My world trip seems to have finished so long ago, and the "real world" everyone warned me about is really starting to get ON MY NERVES!


1 Comments:
Hang in there, you'll get one soon
Post a Comment
<< Home