Thursday, September 28, 2006

Lest We Forget

The past two weeks I’ve been busy going to several memorial services to commemorate the many English, German and Polish soldiers that died in the Battle of Arnhem during the Second World War. The allies lost the battle, but they gave the Dutch people hope. My neighbours here look after a now 86 year old Scottish veteran, who was a glider pilot. This year he could walk a lot better since he just got both of his knees fixed. A really lovely person and so full of jokes: humour really is an antidote! He was also part of the British invasion of Normandy on the infamous D-Day. Fought 6 years in the war, lost almost ALL of his friends and comrades and yet is able come here every year to remember that time 62 years ago. I learnt a lot, talking to several of the veterans. Very shocking what they experienced as 22 year old soldiers, and yet inspiring.

I also spent three full days helping the neighbours moving stuff around their house so all the walls and ceilings could be painted. Huge job considering all the stuff they had but I have to say that the result was amazing. They used to have everything painted white, but now every room has a slightly different tint of colour on the walls!

Of course I also went visiting grandparents and friends here in Holland and am applying for jobs. It’s frustrating here, because for several jobs I applied for, I didn’t have the relevant experience, was over-qualified or the position was filled already. So I’ve started to apply for graduated jobs at big companies. I still want to do a PhD soon, though I’m keeping where, what and when optional now, depending on what I think of the job I will be doing. No use planning your life so far ahead. Go with the flow…

1 Comments:

At 10/13/2006 6:56 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

So, when are you coming back to hike with us in Yosemite? =)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home