Holland´s highest windmill
Yesterday I went to see the authentic windmill of the replica I had found and seen in a dutch colony in Brazil, Castroholanda. The authentic windmill is called Woldzigt and is in a little tiny village called, Rodewolde, just 10km south of the big northern city of Groningen. Because it was lovely weather, my dad and I decided to take the train to a place called Heereveen, and cycle to Groningen. With the highway, that distance is 55km. We took a bicycle path that goes to all the lovely places on the way, and most of the time you´re in the forest so you have no annyoing traffic to deal with. The distance: 74km.
The train ride to start cycling took almost 2hrs, and then at 11am we started cycling. It was a lovley route. This part of Holland has a lot of tiny villages and farms all over the place so not that busy... just very charming.
By 5pm we were at the windmill. We arrived about 5min before they were going to shut down the place, so I had a chance to talk to the people there. Several were surprised to hear that there was a replica of their windmill (built in 1852), somewhere in Brazil. And yes, even though the windmill in Brazil looks a lot newer (built in 2003), you can definately see it´s the same. It´s also apparently the highest windmill in Holland...it has an extra floor and therefore it´s higher and all the more powerful. It´s amazing to think that that thing was built over 150 years ago and it still works! They are amazing pieces of machinary to see at work.
It was a very long day yesterday but very worth it. In the end I cycled a good 85kms and boy does my BUTT feel it! Lol!


1 Comments:
Ack! I'm jealous!! I have been sitting on my butt, typing and working on music. =P Sounds like you are having fun back in Holland!
Post a Comment
<< Home