Tuesday, October 25, 2005

One week on...

It's been a week since I last blogged and that was thanks to a typical heavy thunderstorm we had here on Wednesday last week! The rainy season should have started quite a while back but up to now it's been really dry. But then on Tuesday we had a lovely display of lightning and heard a lot of rumbling lasting for just 15 min, but that meant that the phone lines were down and caused a fault to the Internet connection...

The beautiful sunset after the thunderstorm

So far I’ve been enjoying the feeling of being home once again. Just relaxing, playing games, reading, getting more and more burnt by the day and eating far too much biltong for my own good:) Nothing over exciting. But this weekend we went to SUN CITY with the people we’re staying at, which is a kind of holiday resort about 200km’s from Joburg. It’s really luxurious and they have several different swimming pools where you can swim, including one with waves. That was really fun! I also went down a very steep slide where you had to cross your legs and your arms over your chest, as well as lie down to be allowed to go down it. Boy was that an exhilarating ride of just 3 seconds! We also went to two buffets, where one of them had Chinese food and so I attempted to use chop sticks. For those who don’t know: I’m useless when it comes to chop sticks! But I had a good teacher (thanks Mzolisi) and I finally managed to eat with them though it was a really slow process!

Me and the chop stick routine...

On the way back to Joburg, we were behind this car and at the back we saw what looked like a big dog, but when we got closer, we realised it was a full grown cheetah!

Now we’re back from Sun City and today we’re getting a car for a month to travel around the country with. The plan is to go to Pietersburg (now called Polokwane), then to Durban via Swaziland (see the country where I was born) and then to Cape Town followed by Johannesburg via Lesotho. In other words we’re pretty much going to be driving most of the time! I can’t drive which is a real shame, because I got my driving licence just over 8 weeks ago and I can’t drive a rented car unless I have my licence for at least a year. I’ll probably be the one sleeping and singing (if there’s no radio – which seems likely at this point) at the back. Lol!

The beautiful Jacaranda trees. They have purple flowers that bloom at this time of year and are absolutely exquisite. Pretoria has them along several roads.

1 Comments:

At 10/27/2005 12:22 am, Blogger Nooy said...

Hey Iris!
Looks like so much fun! and you might as well enjoy the bilting while it is within reach right?!
I'm so excited for when you come here though I know I will be freaking out because it is almost the end of the semster abnd such,, and it is so long still!
Ahh ! you saw a cheetah I'm soo jealous, that must have been awesome! I've been thiking about doing th africa tour a lot :) will be a good incentive to finish my BA here! I have been talking about it and there is some people who so would love to join us somewhere along our way.. LOL, I'm gonna make you travel girl ;) I don't think we are ever going to settle! But you go ahead and do you wrold trip first ) and make sure you sing a lot! I was just playing Barbara Streisand and though of our trip to Vaals and the glasblower.. doesn't that seem like a lifetime ago?! Oh well, I'm spamming your blog, got to go do some work!
Love and friendship always
you're crazy partner in crime!
Meike

 

Post a Comment

<< Home