Sunday, October 09, 2005

Hello Everyone, Dag Iedereen, Hola Todos!

Welcome to my blog page which I'll use to try and keep you updated with most of my activities in the next year..... Thanks to the inspiration of Meike, I’ve decided that the best way to keep people updated of my world trip would be to blog it... As you may noctice I will be writing in English becuase most of you out there understand English....sorry for those Ducties and Spanish people out there!

So far I’ve managed to enjoy most of my summer in England earning lots of money to get me on my way, organise my trip to visit everyone and organising Visas as well as all the flights of course! I’ve already kind of started with a small journey of Europe already...So what have I been up to lately????

Well, I’ve graduated in the lovely Abbey of Bath officially earned 5 letters to my name (MChem....that's almost one letter a year.....surely there must be an easier way!?!?!?!), passed a driving test (third try lucky!) so have been let loose on the road (good idea!?!?!?! We’ll see!) and as a memento to the last day of my time in Bath I had my purse stolen from my bag in the staff room....caused a whole lot of hassle but hey, there was nothing else for me to do then laugh about it! It’s so IRONIC! After so many years in Bath and this happens on my last night there! Lol!

Me in my graduation gown holding the hand of a human statue


I left Bath on the 22nd of September and made my way to Dublin, Ireland to visit my friend Candice. After having gone there several times there before and not making the effort to go do the touristy things, Candice and I decided it was a bout time that we went and explored Dublin a bit. Well, I can safely say that we succeeded! We saw the Book of Kells (apparently the oldest book published that has survived more than a 1000 years...), which is stored and lovingly looked after in the largest single-chamber library in the world: Trinity College. We also made it to the Guinness factory and had a good look around the museum. It was an interesting place to go though I warn you………EXPENSIVE! But hey, for an entry of €14 luckily they offered a “complimentary” pint of Guinness. And as for all those Guinness´ that they brew around the world, apparently they don’t taste anywhere near as good as the Guinness that is brewed in Dublin because they use the water from the river that runs through the plot…. well, how would I know??? I can’t stand the stuff! (Sorry to any Guinness lovers out there…). I also went to Candice’s church, which was fun. I really do love those people there! So lovely! We had to leave church early to catch a bus to a place called Glendaloch which is a lovely place in the famous Wicklow mountains and is absolutely stunning! There are two lakes and a very old ruin of a very old church…something like a thousand years old or something! Beautiful!

Glendaloch with the Monestry in the background.

I went to Holland on the Monday and flew to Eindhoven where I stayed at Michelle’s for the night and then went home to see my mum and dad for like 20 hours and was off to Munich to see May and her boyfriend, Jim. I took the night train that left Arnhem at around 9pm and arrived in Munich slightly sleep deprived the next morning just before 7am. Basically, I again saw quite a bit of Munich. Went to the famous October-fest but have to say that most of it was actually more like a big funfair, so even though it’s supposed to be like one of the most famous and largest Beer Festival in the world, May and I spent most of our time going on wild rollercoaster rides while Jim held our stuff and drank some beer (at 10am in the morning!!!!). I tried to get hold of one of those famous 1 litre glasses but unfortunately, the places where you got beer served in those were already too packed so we had to suffice with smaller half litre glasses! I also went to the famous Deutsches Museum - one of the largest scientific-technological museums in the world -, went to the famous English gardens as well as the Olympic park. It was actually a lovely city to visit though very wet as May and I discovered on more than one occasion! Lol! We got drenched more then once that weekend!

The rollercoaster we went on! The Olympic rings! 5x upside down!


Well, that’s what I’ve been up to so far. The last few days here in Holland I’ve just been organising last minute world-trip things. I mean, what do you really need to take with you?


1. Passport, tickets, Visas……
2. Clothes, shoes, swimming stuff…
3. Camera, mp3 player…
4. Myself?

How does one pack for a Year? Luckily I seem to have planned my year trip in such a way that I seem to be chasing the summer for the first 8 months of my trip so no winter jackets! Yey! SUN SUN SUN SUN SUN…(so perhaps sun lotion a good idea???)

Well, I hope I haven’t put you off reading my blog…. just wanted to get you up to speed with what I’ve been doing lately before I go and officially become a GYPSY.

See most of you all soon!
Hugs
xxxxx

1 Comments:

At 10/10/2005 7:26 pm, Blogger Nooy said...

Hey Iris,
Cool that you got a blog as well now! We'll have to keep mailing though, because we can't just go reading blogs :p Or we'll phone! It was great to talk to you the other day! Gotto run for clas now! Love and Hugz
Meike
P.S.: I'll make you a nice link on ym site too!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home